- 3 medium red onions (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 3 pounds celery root (sometimes called celeriac)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 pound small white mushrooms
- 3/4 pound assorted fresh exotic mushrooms such as chanterelles and Portobellos
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
Gourmet Magazine November 1997
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Cut onions into 1-inch pieces. With a sharp knife peel celery root and cut into 2-by 1/2-inch sticks. Divide celery root between 2 large roasting pans and toss each half with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Roast celery root in upper and lower thirds of oven, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through roasting, 25 minutes total.
In a bowl toss mushrooms and onions with sage, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Divide mushroom mixture between pans, tossing with celery root, and roast, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through roasting, about 30 minutes total or, until all vegetables are tender and golden.
Season vegetables with salt and pepper.